Honest Mobile becomes the first UK Mobile Network to make calling 101 – the non-emergency police number – free! 🚓
All too often in telecoms, it takes a regulator to make a change that’s good for the customer. Just take a look at some recent interventions:
- Stop rip off contracts at the end of minimum connection periods
- Commitments to increase coverage (and this isn’t working!)
- Making it easier to transfer your number from one network to another
Why we decided it should be free
At Honest Mobile we always try to do what’s right for the customer. In fact, as a registered B-Corporation we’re legally required to consider our customers (as well as our planet) in all our decisions. That’s why we’ve made it free to call 101 (the non-emergency police number) from your Honest Mobile phone.
It’s fair to say that if you’re calling the police (even in a non-emergency) you’re probably not having a great day, so why do you have to pay for it? Well, in short, because the government say you do. It costs a network – like us – 15p for that call to connect and we’re allowed to pass it on to you. Everyone does. Everyone, that is, except Honest Mobile.
What prompted the change?
A customer questioned us last week when we charged them*, and by the end of the day we’d decided it wasn’t fair, had refunded the customer and had gone back through all of our call records historically and refunded all calls that had ever been made to 101 against their next bills
What else drives you mad?
What else is out there that drives you mad about your mobile network? Let us know and we’ll see what we can do to fix it before the regulators get involved. From next month the regulator is stepping in to force all networks to follow suit and make calls to 101 free for all customers.
Want to join a mobile network that cares about you and our planet?
If you like the sound of us, check us out by downloading the Honest mobile app from your App Store.
*Thanks to our instant notifications, they knew they’d been charged as they ended their phone call, not a month later 👍
- 6 Customer Suggestions we’ve already Implemented
- Why we’re making changes to our data plans
- 5 things you wouldn’t expect from a Mobile Network
- Honest Mobile is the first UK mobile network to become a pending B-Corp
- Honest Mobile becomes the first UK Mobile Network to make calling 101 – the non-emergency police number – free! 🚓