We’re incredibly proud to be the first Mobile Network in the UK to become a Certified B Corporation and are excited to join an inspiring community of businesses using business as a force for good!
This is an important milestone for us in leading the change we want to see within the mobile industry, by doing what’s right, holding ourselves to the highest standards and considering people, planet and profit equally.
what is a B Corporation?
Here’s the formal version – B Corporations (B Corps) are businesses that meet the highest standards of social and environmental performance, transparency, and accountability.
But what does that really mean? For us, it means trying to do the right thing every single time.
Remember that time we made 101 calling free? That’s what a B Corp would do. Planting trees for our customers? Perfect B Corp behaviour. Paying our staff the living wage. Exactly what B Corps stand for. Recycled packaging? Yep, you guessed it, it’s the hallmark of being a B Corp.
We’ve always been determined to hold ourselves to the highest standards possible which explains the name “Honest Mobile” and as a Certified B Corporation we can be sure that we’re being held accountable to the highest standards by the wider world too.
how to become a B Corp?
To become a B Corp we had to achieve a minimum score on the B Impact Assessment. This is the only assessment that measures a company’s entire social and environmental performance from our supply chain to our employee benefits.
The tough assessment process looks at the impact we have on our workers, customers and environment to ensure we meet the very highest standards.
We’re not perfect though. We still have single use plastic in our SIM cards, and we don’t always have a choice about which suppliers we work with. That means there’s always room for improvement and a big part of being a B Corp involves continually working to improve our B Impact score 💪
what do we actually do?
There are hundreds of questions in the B Impact Assessment, but here are some of the things we do at Honest to protect people and planet:
- We’re the UK’s first carbon neutral Network, offsetting scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions. This includes all calls, message and data, and the emissions from charging your phone and the manufacture of your phone.
- We go the extra mile to look after our customers which is why we’re proud to be the leading pay-monthly network on Trustpilot.
- All our packaging is recycled and we avoid the use of plastic wherever possible.
- We’re looking into recycled plastic or alternative materials for our SIM card production and soon we’ll be moving to eSIMs to avoid the use of plastic altogether.
- We use existing phone masts, so we don’t impact the environment by building new infrastructure.
- As a proud member of ‘1% for the Planet’, we give 1% of our revenue to non-profit organisations to help build a better future for our planet. Our contribution helps to fund sustainable reforestation projects and this is on top of our carbon neutral commitments.
- We encourage our members to buy refurbished phones to minimise the impact of their phone on the planet.
- We don’t offer any unpaid internships to anyone. Ever.
- We pay our suppliers on time, and try to work with other B Corps, smaller businesses and sustainable businesses where we can.
- We’ve legally changed our articles of association as a business to include people and planet alongside profit in all our decision making.